Sunday 21 April 2013

Altered Photo Frame

The Life Time Collection by Prima is so versatile I felt inspired to alter a photo frame this time displaying a photograph of my husband instead of my daughters.  The papers is so versatile it can be used with both feminine and masculine projects.  I am totally in love with these papers - they are awesome!  My blog will be overflowing with projects using this collection; so keep a look out!

I used a normal cheap wooden frame; I chose this frame because the wood surface was broad and not narrow like most - this space gave me plenty of room to experiment with some mixed media techniques.  Of I started by applying a coat of gesso, then white paint and then another coat of gesso - I wanted to really prime the surface before starting all my layers of texture, mediums, mists and embellishments.


I cut out the petals individually from the flowers the "Blue Bayou" sheet and adhered them with mod podge at the top left hand corner, in the middle of the the left panel and at the bottom right hand corner.  I used Martha Stewart texture paste on small strips of a thin netting I found, a left over piece of lace and some bubble wrap.  


I positioned my elements with mod podge and once dry covered all of it with a layer of gesso I left the gesso to dry for an entire day before spraying various glimmer mists and paint dabbers.

On the left panel I positioned a Prima flower spray so that it gives the effect of being outside and inside the frame. The wooden bird and branch are also Prima embellishments.  I cut a dusty attic heart shaped die in two and as you can see by the image below, I positioned them on different places within the frame.  


On the right hand panel I adhered antique brass loops and hung a Prima wooden key on it.  The flowers are all from the Life Time Collection and the wording/phrases all over the frame are fussy cut from the "Familia" sheet.  


I love how the completed look is feminine but totally suits a male photograph too.  The flower collection has browns, grays and blacks too so I choose the black specifically because hubby's favourite colour is black.

I hope I inspired you to create your own photo frame...happy crafting!  Janine






3 comments:

  1. beautiful frame .lot of work .love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful frame! Looks like you put a lot of work into it and it paid off!

    ReplyDelete
  3. its looking awesome.....you r truly the best....love you...hugs..xxx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and love them all; its like chocolates - I am addicted. See you again some time soon, hugs