Monday 21 May 2012

Altered Book & Tag

I have and always will encourage my children to read read read!  Lucky for me they love reading as much as I do!

One of our favourite reads is Little Women by Louise M.Alcott.  The book we have is old with a work cover; and the first few pages were really tattered.  I decided to alter this book with the gorgeous Tradewinds papers.  





I chose paper representative of women i.e. red roses with gold and glitter and added the lace on the spine for a more genteel effect. Isn't that paper gorgeous!!!  A glittery swirl and Tim Holtz metal corners and my cover was complete!



I just love this tag!! It depicts a very elegant lady on the one side and a vintage lamp shade on the other.  This lamp and shade is indicative of a lady's room where she would keep such a decorative lamp as she settles down to read a favourite book.


I did a mixed media technique using old newspaper images and mod podge to create the background I wanted.  I inked the tag with quite a few distress inks - vintage photo, brushed corduroy, victorian velvet, walnut stain and black soot.  I cute two petals off a black flower, glossy accent it and added stickles to lend it an aged look.  I glued the flower onto a small piece of black lace to create the accessory for her hair.  On the image she has flowers on her dress so I applied flower soft to accentuate them.  I glimmer misted a petite white silk flower to match the hues of the tag.  A strip of lace near the bottom and some bling for her necklace and earring finished off the one side of the tag.


The flip side of the tag is quite simple - stamped a vine, lace border and a lamp and shade with black soot distress ink.  Glimmer misted a tiny strip of lace and with glossy accents glued it to down to decorate the edge of the lamp shade.  Some black and brown fibers and my tag was finished and ready to use as a  book marl for future reads!


I loved making this project!! 

I hope you enjoyed reading about the project too!  My family loves it and so do I!  

Thanks for stopping by and do leave a comment...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for leaving a comment, I read and love them all; its like chocolates - I am addicted. See you again some time soon, hugs